The Write Start Training
This event will take place between 2:00pm and 4:30pm on 12/03/2020.
Many schools have been moving to a text-led approach to the teaching of writing, generating rich written outcomes and teaching the key knowledge and skills that pupils require to become successful writers. Over three sessions, teachers will be taken through the ‘learning journey’ from reading to writing, developing subject knowledge and exploring new approaches and techniques to take back to their classrooms to support pupils’ written outcomes throughout the writing process. Each session will explore effective and creative strategies and approaches at every stage of the learning journey.
Audience: A three-session course for teachers of writing. Ideally, at least two teachers per school should attend so that the learning from the CPD is reinforced and can be cascaded back in school. Attendance at all 3 sessions is vital to deliver the intended boost in writing skills and outcomes for pupils across the school.
Session leader: Susie Spolander - English Consultant
Course dates: (teachers should attend all three sessions)
• Session 1 – Thursday 12th March, 2-4.30pm
• Session 2 – Thursday 2nd April, 2-4.30pm
• Session 3 – Thursday 23rd April, 2-4.30pm
• Overview of learning journey and mapping towards written outcomes
• Considering audience and purpose to inform writers’ choices
• Developing spoken language to support writing: vocabulary development, drama, role-play and oral work
• Exploring how reading informs writing: developing comprehension and text analysis
• Practical approaches for teaching embedded grammar for writing in the context of the journey
• The writing process: practical approaches to planning, drafting, reviewing, revising, editing, proof-reading and presenting writing.
• Drawing all elements of the journey together and evaluating the impact of approaches so far in school
Cost: For ODBST schools £45 per place. Non-ODBST schools £90 per place.
Book now on Eventbrite